Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

Good song by David Bowie.

I have made two important "changes" in Hudson and Brayden's lives. One for the better and the other I'm still not sure about. I'll explain.

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...OK I'll stop.

First, I took away their pacifiers.  BIG change. It turned out easier than I thought (after the first nap at least). I read an article in Parents magazine on the importance of breaking the paci bond before your child reaches the age of two. I can't remember all the reasons why but the next day I decided to just take away the pacifiers cold turkey. They are only 18 months old but I hear the younger they are the easier it will be.

They had only been using pacifiers during naps, bedtime, and when we leave the house. I was really nervous about how Brayden was going to react when I took his paci away when he sleeps. And I was right....

Day 1 without pacifiers:
Nap one: Brayden screamed for the whole two hours then passed out. I let him sleep another 30-45 minutes. Hudson didn't really care. (note: during the two-hour cryfest a Facebok friend reminded me about the tip to cut off the tip of the pacifier. It takes away their satisfaction of sucking and they lose interest. Brayden was quiet for 15 minutes while he tried to figure out what was wrong with his paci then he chucked it out of the crib and continued to cry.)

Nap two: Brayden was still so exhausted after the first nap he fell asleep within minutes. Hudson still sucked on the cut-up paci. Not sure why but he cried off and on for half the nap.

Bedtime: Brayden cried for maybe 5-10 minutes. Hudson went right to sleep.

Day 2 without pacifiers:
Nap one: Brayden throws both cut-up pacifiers out of the crib as soon as I put them in there. Obviously he doesn't want them anymore. Took 10 minutes to fall asleep. Hudson still sucked on the paci so I took them away from him completely. He wasn't happy for about 30 minutes.

Nap two: Neither of them slept...not because of the "no paci" policy. More on this later.

Bedtime: Both fell alseep within minutes.

That's it! They have been without pacifiers for 14 days now. I think they are cured! Ha!

So the second change in Brayden and Hudson lives....they are now down to one nap a day. Ooooohhhh NOOOOO! I'm not happy about this but they haven't been sleeping during the second nap the past week. I kinda think Brayden would if Hudson would stop yelling and crying for the whole two hours.

I find this all so sad...and exhausting! I really enjoyed the "me time" was I getting twice a day to get stuff done around the house. I think this change is harder on me than the boys. I think they like staying up and playing longer. I hope I can get used to this change.

So because of this change I've had to switch up their daily schedule. Now breakfast is at 8:00 am, lunch at 12:00 pm, nap at 1:30-3:30 pm, dinner at 5:30 pm, and bedtime at 7:30 pm. I may move their bedtime up a bit earlier. It was depend on how cranky they are after dinner.

So far so good. It's only day two of this new schedule. Pray that I have the energy to keep up with these two energizer bunnies!

I'll end this post with some pool pictures (and by pool I mean the cheap $9 plastic pools you can get anywhere) of the boys trying to stay cool in this HOT HOT HOT weather. I was sweating like a pig while taking these photos. I was thisclose to climbing in the pool myself. I wish I did because neither Brayden or Hudson would get in it. Weird. I'm pushing them in it next time. ;)









I hope ya'll are enjoying your summer...I mean spring. ;)

No comments: