Monday, December 27, 2010

It was bound to happen...

Stitches. And since I have two boys, I know this won't be the first time.

Hudson got his first battle scar...well I hope it won't scar. He's just like his Uncle Adam (my older brother). He climbs EVERYTHING! They are both very active. Hudson rarely ever sits still.

Two days before Christmas both boys were playing in the playroom. Around 10:00 am I went into the kitchen to get their mid-morning snack. While I was filling their sippy cups with water I heard a thud. Then I heard Hudson start crying. It wasn't any different from his normal cry. I peeked up the stairs to see if he was OK and he was just sitting on the floor crying. He looked fine.

I went back to finish filling the cups then came back upstairs. I looked at him and his face was covered in blood. I panicked! I immediately picked him up to see where he was bleeding from. I checked his teeth and they were fine. Then...I saw a big gash on his upper lip. I just about passed out.

Side note: I'm not good with blood and cuts. I'm OK when it's my blood, but when someone else is bleeding, I get light-headed and dizzy.

While I was holding Hudson he grabbed the sippy cup out of my hand and starting drinking. He immediately stopped crying. I put him back on the floor and he started playing again like nothing happened. I was astonished.

While he played I went to our bedroom where Tommy was getting ready for work. We decided to call his pediatrician and they couldn't see him for 2 hours. So we decided to take him to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital (only after a quick trip to a walk-in clinic where they told us he needed stitches but he was too young for them to do it).

We spent about 2 hours at Vanderbilt. Here is a picture of him in his cute hospital gown. Sorry it's so blurry. Cell phone photos suck.


He kept trying to run down the hall. I let him once but stopped after he almost ran into another child's hospital room.

They put some numbing gel on his lip then sprayed some medicine up his nose to make him loopy so the doctor could stitch the cut without putting him to sleep. He looked so drunk! It was hilarious! He smiled with his eyes half open and couldn't hold his head up.

The nurse then wrapped him with a sheet like a burrito to keep him still. Then they put two stitches in this lip right in the room. Here is a pic of him after getting the stitches. He was still a little loopy.



So, where was Brayden while at Vanderbilt? He was playing in the hospital crib in our room.



Then we commemorated our wonderful trip to Vanderbilt by paying our $200 co-pay for ER visits. Just great! Hudson better get a job soon so he can pay next time! ;)

P.S. I'm working on a Christmas post. I tried uploading all the photos but ran out of room on my hard drive. Got to work on moving old photos to the external one first to make room. Stay tuned.

No comments: